(from left) Daniel Petzold, Mahka Mthembu, and Christopher Salazar
Globe for All presents free professional Shakespeare to diverse, multi generational audiences in locations around San Diego County, with a cast of nine professional actors, a DJ, and four production staff members. Over the past two years, Globe for All has performed in military bases, homeless shelters, centers for the elderly, correctional facilities, recreation centers, libraries, and other community venues for nearly 2,200 audience members. In addition to this year’s 17-stop tour, Globe for All will play at The Old Globe for two low-cost performances.
Patricia McGregor directs the 2016 Globe for All production of William Shakespeare’s Measure for Measure
Justice, lust, hypocrisy, and redemption take center stage along with a wild cast of characters in a bold staging of this timely classic. In addition to the performance, each partner organization is offered a Bard Basics workshop leading up to the performance. These workshops are designed to enhance the understanding and enjoyment of Shakespeare’s work. Taught by professional Globe teaching artists, participants will be introduced to Shakespeare, his work, and the common themes and ideas of Measure for Measure.
Directed by Patricia Mcgregor, each performance will begin with an introductory pre-show warmup led by the teaching artists and end with a casual talk-back with the Globe’s Master Teaching Artist Lisel Gorell-Getz, who is also in the cast.
|Lisel Gorell-Getz (Mistress Overdone, Mariana, Servant)|
Recreation – Linda Vista, A Reason to Survive, and Escondido Public Library, with an additional location to be announced.
The cast includes recent graduates of The Old Globe and University of San Diego Shiley Graduate Theatre Program Makha Mthembu (Isabella, Soldier), Daniel Petzold (Angelo, Barnardine), and Christopher Salazar (Duke Vincentio, Elbow) in the lead roles, and Ally Carey (Pompey, Provost), Jake Millgard (Lucio, Froth), and Nathan Whitmer (Claudio). Joining them are local actors Lisel Gorell-Getz (Mistress Overdone, Mariana, Servant), Flordelino Lagundino (Escalus, Abhorson),Davina Van Dusen (Juliet, Friar Peter), and DJ Miki Vale.
The creative staff includes Sean Fanning (Scenic Design), Shelly Williams (Costume Design), and Jess Slocum (Production Stage Manager).
“Globe for All has quickly grown to become one of the core programs of The Old Globe, enriching our community and galvanizing our theatre as it serves our neighbors in a deep and special way,”
said Erna Finci Viterbi Artistic Director Barry Edelstein.“It’s our core conviction that theatre in general, and Shakespeare in particular, are necessary to living a full and rich life, and yet we recognize that some in our city either don’t know about the work we do or cannot enjoy regular access to it. Globe for All is an exciting way to bring the joys and thrills of live, professional Shakespeare to San Diegans who may not have experienced them before. We are grateful to the community-based organizations that are partnering with us and to the civic-minded philanthropies that are supporting this effort. Together, we can make theatre matter to many more of our fellow citizens.”
Globe for All will be presented with free public performances at
- Fourth District Senior Resource Center (The George L. Stevens Senior Center, 570 S.65th St., San Diego, 92114) on Friday, November 4 at 1:30 p.m.
- The Old Globe Technical Center (5335 Market St., San Diego, 92114) on Saturday, November 5 at 1:30 p.m.
- San Diego Public Library – Central Branch (Joan Λ Irwin Jacobs Common, Shiley Special Events Suite, 330 Park Blvd., San Diego, 92101) on Sunday, November 6 at 1:00 p.m.
- Lemon Grove Academy/Lemon Grove Historical Society/Lemon Grove Branch Library (Lemon Grove Academy, Roberto Alvarez Auditorium, 3171 School Ln., Lemon Grove, 91945) on Wednesday, November 9 at 6:00 p.m.
- Chaldean Middle-Eastern Social Services (St. Michael Chaldean Catholic Church, 799 E.Washington Ave., El Cajon, 92020) on Thursday, November 10 at 6:30 p.m.
- City Heights/Weingart Branch Library & Performance Annex (3795 Fairmount Ave., San Diego, 92105) on Saturday, November 12 at 2:00 p.m.
- The City of San Diego Parks & Recreation – Linda Vista (Linda Vista Recreation Center,7064 Levant St., San Diego, 92111) on Sunday, November 13 at 12:15 p.m.